In relation to the pre-screening of FirstMed patients, our medical staff have instituted these protocols:
- When booking the consultation, patients experiencing symptoms (fever, coughing, shortness of breath) of Covid-19 who have traveled to, or been in contact with people who have returned from High-Risk countries; e.g. Italy, China, South Korea, Israel, and Iran; will be called back by a medical professional for a follow-up screening.
- If they answer yes, the patient will not be admitted to our clinic and will instead be immediately referred to Szent László Hospital.
- In case you need medical attention, please call ahead, do not come in without an appointment for your and other patient’s safety!!!!
Opportunities to Reduce Contact Numbers – Community Events In relation to COVID-19 virus infection Please CLICK from Nemzeti Népegészségügyi Központ (Hungarian Health Authority) | March 14
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) FAQ Please CLICK from Nemzeti Népegészségügyi Központ (Hungarian Health Authority) | March 9
The following may be outdated information about government actions (March 14, 2020)
Hungary declared a state of emergency in the entire country due to the coronavirus, Minister of the Prime Minister’s Office Gergely Gulyás announced at the daily press conference of the Hungarian government’s coronavirus task force. The Minister said that the move is necessary to avoid community spread of the virus.
The state of emergency (technically, a “state of danger”) is a so-called special legal order defined in the Fundamental Law of Hungary which allows the government to introduce a number of extraordinary measures by decree and suspend the application of certain laws in order to mitigate a natural or industrial disaster. It remains in effect for fifteen days unless Parliament authorises the government to extend it.
The special legal order allows the government to halt air traffic or public transportation, order quarantines in certain areas (or even evacuations), restrict usage of public spaces, or even prescribe civil defence obligations or draw companies under temporary state control. (Once again, these are measures permitted by the state of emergency, not measures that were announced). Once the state of emergency ends, the specially authorised government decrees lose their effect as well.
Extraordinary measures announced by Gulyás:
- No entry into Hungary allowed from Italy, China, South Korea, [now Israel] and Iran, except for Hungarian citizens who will automatically be ordered to self-isolate. All air traffic, trains, and buses coming from these countries will be shut down beginning from midnight,
- Restrictions will apply at the Slovenian and Austrian border as well,
- False statements concerning the virus will be sanctioned, just like the violation of quarantine orders,
- Universities will only hold remote classes,
- Outdoors public events of over 500 people and indoors public events of over 100 people banned – this does not apply to workplaces and malls, but does apply to cinemas and theatres, football games will be played behind closed gates. Parliament will remain operational.
- No school trips abroad are allowed, and the recently announced free two-week language courses abroad for Hungarian students will take place a year later.
- More measures will be announced later.
The Minister said children do not typically catch Covid-19, therefore it is unnecessary to close schools at this point, adding that only 15 EU member states closed schools – as soon as children are affected, new measures may be announced. Gulyás said that these measures will be in effect until they are revoked, which may take weeks or months.
Answering questions from the press, Gulyás informed about the following:
- Concerning the entry ban, special regulations about foreign spouses of Hungarian citizens may be introduced.
- Ministers and state secretaries will need special permission to travel abroad,
- The government is not planning to lock down Budapest or any other major cities,
- Transportation of goods will not be affected by these measures,
- Self-isolation orders may be enforced by police,
- There are 37 laboratories in Hungary performing tests for Covid-19, the government deems that number sufficient based on WHO guidelines.
- The Minister urged people to work from home if they can.
Earlier on Wednesday morning, Gulyás told public media that the coronavirus response has to be taken to the next level in order to avoid community spread of the virus, which is why the coronavirus task force recommended the government to declare a state of emergency.
Gulyás said that the state of emergency makes it possible, if necessary, to order house quarantines and to close the borders – in agreement with Austria – before people arriving from Italy. Hungarians could of course return to the country in such a situation, but they would automatically be quarantined, Gulyás explained.
This special legal order had been employed before, he added, but only in areas affected by severe floods, never in the entire country.